Sunday, September 19, 2010

this cold is a jerk

I woke up on Tuesday with the dreaded tenderness in my throat. It didn't occur to me at the time that getting sick would be an entirely different story while pregnant. The sore throat transitioned into congestion and now I'm battling a cough. When I wasn't sleeping through the night because I couldn't breathe, I just assumed that decongestants are off-limits. False. But by the time I found the approved medications list that Doc G provided, and learned that Sudafed is a-ok, it was too late. I now have a picture of said list on my phone.

The cough started yesterday while Brad and I were at a friend's BBQ. (aside: I love attending parties and being able to tell people why I'm not drinking and why I keep touching my ears. Perhaps the other guests don't enjoy learning that they are hot and itching. But my filter doesn't work as well these days. And it amazes me that no matter how random and seemingly unrelated something is to the growing embryo in my belly, someone online insists it is a perfectly normal pregnancy symptom.)

Anyhow, as I had yet to dig up that a-ok meds list, and Walgreen's was around the corner from the party, I decided to head over and buy something that surely couldn't be bad for tater. Vick's vapor stuff to the rescue! Brad and I are staring at the options and I see a pad that you stick onto your shirt. Doubly brilliant! This must be okay for tater! It doesn't even touch my skin.

Get home, get ready for bed, pull the Vick's sticky pads box out of the shopping bag. Decide to read the warnings, which surely will affirm my wise purchase decision. Nope. "Not safe for use while pregnant." BOLLUCKS! Seriously? Apparently I have no natural instincts when it comes to guessing what's okay for tater. I almost fumigated him/her with menthol poison.

So this morning I dug out that list. Vick's is not on the list. But Robitussin is. I have been hacking like a 80-year old lifetime Marlboro addict. But I couldn't bring myself to buy a bottle of Robitussin at Target today. I've been enjoying these last few days sans nausea a little too much. And I loathe the taste of Robitussin. Gag. Double gag. Ricola will have to do.

At Target I DID purchase awesome Halloween decor for my office, including Halloween straws. Straws are the best. This cold, however, is a jerk.

1 comment: