Wednesday, September 15, 2010

its good to be normal

So, the doc called this morning and left a message with our final genetics testing results. Good news! The results cut our risk in half. Before the testing, the risk of Down's was 1/180, and now the risk is 1/370. The doc said the cutoff they use for recommending additional testing is 1/220, so he doesn't think that we need to pursue any of the invasive tests at this point. Also, the risk for other chromosomal disorders is way down to about 1/10,000 (trisomy 18).

Going in to the test, I thought that my base risk (due to my age) was 1/250-1/400. So it was welcome news, and I'm happy to now be officially in the risk range I'd originally presumed.

We've been sharing the news this past week, and it's been a lot of fun. So far, the much-anticipated waning of my 1st trimester symptoms has yet to begin. In fact, the symptoms are going out with a bang, if at all. And now I'm getting headaches. But it is, of course, entirely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment