Tuesday, September 7, 2010

the real deal


We had our genetics ultrasound this morning! As you can see in the picture, tater is a stomach sleeper (he got that from me). As luck would have it, in order to measure the nuchal skin fold (which is a marker for things such as heart problems and chromosomal abnormalities), the fetus has to be on its back. The ultrasound tech was incredibly patient and creative -- she had me eat a snack, she tilted the table so that I was inverted, she had me cough, and she tickled the skin above the uterus, among other things. Finally, after a half hour of gazing at tater, s/he flipped. She said tater was probably sleeping and not interested in moving around all that much. Regardless, we finally got the measurement and it was normal! Such happy news. We also learned that tater is 7 centimeters from crown to rump (they don't measure the length of the legs because they are always tucked under). Almost three inches! And his/her heart rate was 152; also normal. All good things.

The genetics testing results are made up of a combination of the ultrasound measurement results (1/3 of the final risk computation) and blood test results (2/3). They took my blood today, and my OB/GYN says I should hear from him next Monday. We are so happy to know that the results are normal thus far. And we are praying that the blood results are the same.

Next appointment is at 16 weeks when we'll get to hear Tater's heartbeat for the first time, and they will test for spina bifida. (We're at 12 1/2 right now, so that will happen in about four weeks.) Then the 20-week appointment, when we're learn the sex!

This Saturday we enter our second trimester. Huge hooray. The weeks seemed to be crawling by at the time, but now I can't believe the first trimester is almost behind me. Is six months enough time to get ready? Really?

1 comment:

  1. I also drummed a beat on the bed so that Tater would start dancing and roll over. I'm pretty sure it worked, although no one gave me any credit.

    ReplyDelete