Thursday, September 23, 2010

oh, to burp

What I would give to burp right now. Not a wimpy burp that you can disguise with a napkin and a cute raising of the eyebrows (though I'll take that at this point). I mean a really loud, deep burp that makes Brad stop watching TV to turn and congratulate me. An impressive burp. I would love that.

Pregnant ladies are supposed to stay hydrated. I've found this difficult. I'm supposed to be drinking ten 8oz glasses of fluid a day. Even have an app on my phone with a hydration counter, because I like checklists. At the start of the day, ten seems completely doable. By the end of the day, I feel like a fish. A fish who has not yet mastered essential life skills.

This is probably because I'm also trying to eat 75 grams of protein a day. Not easy. And trying to do it and simultaneously avoid adding 1000 extra calories to my daily intake is even harder. Here's how all of this played out at dinner tonight:

I went to this fabulous vegetarian restaurant in Chicago with a couple friends from work. Karyn's Cooked. Delicious. To cover the fluids requirement, I ordered a lemonade. Selected the faux meatball sandwich on a wheat bun because it looked heavy on the protein (and sounded yummy). But it was served with two potato wedges and coleslaw. So I added a side of steamed broccoli to hit the veggies/fruit quota for the day. Finished the lemonade, started in on the water. Drank two glasses! Hydration queen! Then we shared the bread pudding for dessert, because Liz said it is the best, and I trust her taste buds. It WAS the best. And I ordered a decaf coffee, to keep the fluids coming. After dinner, I headed to another restaurant where Brad was hanging out with our dear friend Gus. Ordered a root beer and managed to drink half the glass before I began to feel like a water balloon. By then it was too late. Much too late.

Now I'm marooned on the couch, daydreaming about burping. And to think I just barely satisfied the hydration, fruit/veggie, protein, and bread pudding requirements for the day. How am I suddenly so bad at eating and drinking? Or is it so good at eating and drinking? Meh.

At least good TV has returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment