Friday, October 22, 2010

silver lining

Hi folks.

First, thanks for all of the positive feedback and encouragement after my last post. Turns out I was feeling slightly less calm and collected on Thursday morning. Nothing like riding to work on the el with a lady who is clearly trying not to cry but failing miserably. All your messages and prayers helped to bring me back to center.

I talked to Doc G yesterday afternoon. Shared our feelings on the Amnio, and he was wonderfully supportive and understanding. Then I told him that I had done some internet research on the ultrasound diagnositcs, and that I had a few questions because sometimes the internet lies. Turns out that the internet was mostly correct. This is good, because I am a fan of trust. But it's also bad, because Brad likes to keep me off the internet when I am a worried, fretting disaster zone. Oh well, I'm snuggling into my internet security blanket for the time being.

Our scheduled twenty-week ultrasound (which was supposed to happen on Nov 4), is a Level I ultrasound. But in order to do the Down Syndrome soft markers check, we need a Level II ultrasound instead. What's the difference? I haven't a clue. But it seems like the Level II takes a bit longer, and perhaps the machine is a bit more futuristic? I really hope it doesn't mean that it's a 3D ultrasound. I know, I know. People love those 3D ultrasounds. I am not a member of that club. The 3D images freak me out. They look like lumpy alien babies. I do not want to think that Tater actually looks like a tater.

The only thing the internet got wrong was suggesting that the results of the Level II ultrasound will factor into our risk assessment and either drop it or up it depending on the detection of soft markers. Nope. The risk will remain 1/155 regardless of the findings. But if they don't find soft markers, we can feel a little better about Tater only having 46 chromosomes. If they find soft markers, we will learn towards thinking Tater is filled with love and an extra chromosome. We won't know the results of the soft marker checks until a few days after the ultrasound.

Because the Level II ultrasound is special, they don't do them at the ultrasound suite across the hall from Doc G's office. They do them at Prentice, the fancy pants women's hospital at Northwestern (where we will be delivering). Doc G initially said that he would write me a referral and then I could call to schedule the appointment. Then he said, "you're 17 weeks, right?" Me: "Nope, 19 on Saturday." Doc G: "Oh. That's a different story. We will schedule this for you. Because if you call and try to schedule a Level II for sometime during the next few weeks, it will be a disaster."

I told him that next week was wide open, but Brad would be horribly unavailable the first two weeks of November. I knew they would do their best, but thought there was a solid possibility that we wouldn't be able to go in until later in November. Thereby delaying the sex reveal. Bollucks.

This morning Nurse L called to tell me that she had successfully scheduled my Level II ultrasound. When you ask? MONDAY. That's right. THIS Monday. Nurse L is a miracle worker. When I try to schedule run-of-the-mill ultrasounds, they need weeks and weeks of advance notice. When Nurse L schedules an ultrasound, she can move mountains. So we'll be seeing Tater on Monday afternoon, and we'll be learning the sex a week and a half earlier than expected. Silver lining!!!

Nurse L did not actually confirm that we will be learning the sex, but I have high hopes because there is no backup plan. The Level II is being done instead of a Level I, so we won't be going back on the 4th for another Tater viewing. And besides, if this magic ultrasound machine cannot detect the sex when I am 19 weeks and 2 days along, it is unworthy of its reputation. Just to be sure, maybe I should do a little internet research.

2 comments:

  1. Robin----we saw our boys' genders at 15.5 weeks---If they can't tell you at 19 weeks, they need to re-evaluate things ;o) I hope you have an amazing and encouraging appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everything goes well! That's amazing that they got you in so quickly. We'll be thinking of and praying for you guys.

    SO excited that you get to find out the gender early! EEEEEEEEE--I'm so excited to find out!

    ReplyDelete