Tuesday, October 12, 2010

the beat goes on

We heard the heartbeat today! It was very reassuring, but I think I built it up too much. It was our first appointment in five weeks, and while all things waist- and scale-related suggested that things were progressing normally, it was quite nice to hear that Tater is still doing his/her thing. At the same time, I was expecting an emotional moment. Tears in the eyes, shortness of breath. Not so much. Thus far in the pregnancy, the only times I've gotten really emotional are the moment we found out, and the few moments I've thought about the fact that Tater will never get to know my mom. Gets me every time. But I'll save that sadness for another day.

When I arrived back at the office this morning, Nicole asked if it sounded like a washing machine. Initially I said no, as I was thinking of my washing machine, which does not make soothing noises. But then I realized that it sounded a bit like listening to a heartbeat inside of a high-efficiency washing machine. A fast, earth-hugging heartbeat. Nicole is so smart.

The rest of the appointment was pretty straight-forward. They took my blood for the second round of genetics testing (results should be back early next week). Gave me a flu shot (along with the complimentary, sneaks-up-on-you sore shoulder). Got a few answers:

(1) Should probably steer clear of salicylic acid. Here's how that conversation went. Me: can I use face wash with it? Doc G: why are you using it? Me: um, because my face not cooperating? (Thinking, is there another reason one would use face wash with salicylic acid? I'm a huge fan of litmus testing my face?)

(2) Don't have to worry about weird red bumps that appear on my thumbs and itch. Good to know.

(3) My weight gain isn't cause for concern. The first trimester I was right on target, but since then the scale has been a little more aggressive. Think it was a grand total of 11 lbs as of this morning, at 17 1/2 weeks? This is by no means obscene, but the line graph is starting to look a little steep. It's hard to fight the urge to start restricting my caloric intake. Actually, it's not that hard. Because I'm always hungry, and because I brought a giant bag of mini Reese's cups to the office to "share." (In Seattle, the shared chocolate dish in my office was the real deal. In Chicago, it is just me and perhaps the occasional office clerk. It does not help that the two people who visit my office most often do not partake -- one is vegan and one has no sweet tooth.)

So, I've decided to make a concerted effort to get to the gym three times a week. Brad joined over the weekend, and he's successfully gotten my butt off the couch twice in the past three days. I am not awesome at keeping such promises, so I'm going to keep score.

Today's total: gym - 1, Reese's cups - 4. (Mmm. Reese's cups. Perhaps I need a bag at home to "share" with the trick-or-treaters who no-show every year.)

So. Heartbeat awesome but not tear-provoking. Arm sore. Weight, so far so good. And I'm all the more excited for the next sonogram and the sex reveal. Three weeks and two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment